Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Midway Ice Sculpture thingy

A few weeks ago, my friend Tyler and I went up to the midway ice sculpture thing. It was really incredible, beautiful and a little bit creepy. Unfortunately for us, it had been pretty warm before we went, but it was still perfectly icy. Here are some photos for your viewing pleasure, and to entice you to go next winter and pay the few dollars to wander around in a surreal north pole. (If I were you, I'd probably go in January, when it's at the peak of perfection.)
They're almost all beautifully lit like this one.

Here is Tyler in his throne. In his grand throne room.


A lot of them have cool tunnels so you can go inside of them.

They're very drippy.



Here am I.

It was colder than I expected, though I don't know why I didn't expect it.

Snow exploring in the winter, anyone?


This one was my favorite! It reminded me of a cathedral with all of those niches.

They're just waiting to be filled with some incredible sculptural program.


Although, if it's like any cathedral, it's this one:

Gaudi's Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.



source

Go there next year, and tell them I sent you. You'll get a discount!*






*okay, not really. But wouldn't that be cool?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, I didn't even know that existed. Very cool.

Diane said...

That is so cool. I had talked to dad about taking the kids and was trying to decide if it was worth it. I think we will do it next year! I'll mention your name!

Roxanne said...

Those are so amazing. Beautiful.