Tuesday, June 21, 2011

basically, I like to sleep

I wasn't always this way. Well yes I was. I liked to sleep anywhere, any time EXCEPT for at night, and except for in my bed. There is plenty of photographic evidence for this.

However, this is true now, more than ever. I LOVE SLEEPING. I love napping on the couch, sleeping in the car, sleeping in my bed, sleeping outside in the sun. Sleeping is nice.

However, sometimes the shifts I work make the sleep I like impossible to get. I'm talking about the I NEED 9 hours a night to be the functioning, cheerful, optimistic Amy we all know and love. Lately, I've been closing a lot on Saturdays, and thanks to the 9 o'clock church block, that means about 6 hours of sleep, especially if I'm going to shower in the morning before church. You know, you're supposed to be off by 10, but the store is messy so you're there until at least 11 or 11:30, then you drive home, you unwind, you get ready for bed, you put the finishing touches on your sunday school lesson, and before you know it, it's 1 or 2 in the morning.

So, I've been really enjoying the re-introduction into my life of the "SUNDAY AFTERNOON NAP."

It's a treasure. However, sometimes I'm not that sleepy, but I really need to catch up if I'm going to do anything at all after 6 pm. Here is where you perk up and pay attention. here are 3 things proven get an adult to sleep- please note they are all movies/television users.

1. The Lord of the Rings extras- from any one of the 3, but preferably from the extended cut, where you will have hours upon hours of droning about details that is boring enough to put anyone to sleep. *Please note here however, that I ADORE these extras, and sometimes I watch them just for fun. But usually end up sleeping.

2. Planet Earth. It is interesting, informative, beautiful...and soothing.

3. America: The Story of Us: slightly interesting, but really monotone and not that interesting. like a history class film you would watch the last 2 weeks of school. May as well skip/sleep.

The extra added bonus is a comfy couch, and late afternoon, indirect sunlight streaming in, giving everything that soft nappy glow. Definitely wonderful.

No comments: