Tuesday, March 09, 2010

listen so I, uh, ha! ummm....yeah.

It has been such a long couple of days-a long week. Since Sunday I've already worked about 30 hours...and I have 24 more scheduled...not including all the outside of work things I need to do this week.


However, today, to help my day become wonderful was a great opportunity to take some of my peers to Temple Square. Yes. it's true. We've been in meetings at the Gateway today, and today I got to take some of them to Temple Square. These awesome ladies (last time we met together, in February) confessed to me that all they know about Mormons comes from watching Big Love. Oh, and also now, from me. That's a lot of pressure, knowing that the only real, accurate perspective of Mormons they have is me... Actually, it's not that much pressure, at all. It's just interesting to me. I live my life, and I think they see what I do, and can learn more about my beliefs.


What a wonderful opportunity for me, though. Usually, I don't know what to say. But today, it flowed. They were asking me lots of questions and were so receptive. It was interesting because their lives are both SO different from mine, and the things they believe are so different from what I believe. BUT, because of the completely open and honest relationship (very transparent) that we have in work, I think we were able to bring that to this discussion. I was able to explain about the purpose of the temple, and the covenants, and the sacredness of it, and also a little bit about what we believe about the second coming and resurrection and modern day revelation.


I was so grateful for this! It was just what I needed in a day full of self examination and very honest feedback with other store managers and HR... a moment to pause, enjoy the quiet of temple square, and reflect on the spiritual side of my life.


Also because generally, when I'm asked questions about my religion in work environments I JUST DON'T KNOW what to say..."why don't you drink?" "I just don't...I choose not to..." or "why don't you want a cigarette?" "I don't smoke...thanks, though..." I always wish I know what to say, but I was so grateful that the words were able to come to me, and that I was able to put coherent thoughts together instead of stutter my way through it.

2 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Way to go Amy! I love when you have a conversation about the gospel and it flows. I miss Temple Square, by the way.

Diane said...

Good for you Amy! I love that you can be led by the Spirit to say the things which are right. Temple Square is a quiet haven in the middle of such chaos right now, isn't it? I love it there!